January 28, 2013

Mini-Tournament 19.01.2012.

Hello dear readers! I'm writing to you from Zlatibor, a beautiful mountain in Serbia where I went with my buddy Fat Gage for a week of long walks, composing Serbian folk music, and chilling with books, movies, and blackberry wine. I'm going to warn you right away, this may be the last you hear from me. Fat Gage's girlfriend plans to visit us for a couple days and she's threatening to bring her jumbo-sized wingwoman in hopes of hooking her up with me. After I told her I'd rather hump Fat Gage than come within earthshaker cannon range of her friend (at least he has long hair) she started telling me how her voracious friend is into super-kinky stuff, so now I'm genuinely afraid. Pray to the Emperor for me, my brothers, for the time of ending might truly be at hand.

Three battles. 1850 pts armies. Entire tournament had a special “Nemesis” rule, which means that any unit who scores first blood automatically becomes worth 1 victory point to the opponent. I really like this rule and hope they'll use it every tournament from now on. My list:

STEEL SLAYERS TASKFORCE:
Brother Manfred, Librarian – terminator armor, null zone, avenger
Tactical Squad "Red" – meltagun, combimelta, plasma cannon, rhino
Tactical Squad "Yellow" – flamer, combiflamer, plasma cannon, rhino
Tactical Squad "Green" – flamer, combiflamer, plasma cannon, rhino
5x Hammernators – land raider godhammer with multimelta
Brother Hanz, Dreadnought – 2x twinlinked autocannon
Vindicator – dozer blade
Vindicator – dozer blade
Devastator Squad – 3x missile launcher
Aegis Defense Line – quad-gun

Obviously, this is an evolution of my list from the previous tournament. I got rid of the bikes as I didn't require so much anti-tank, and added an aegis defense line with a quad gun for some much-needed skyfire. I decided to spend the remaining points on a minimal devastator squad with three missile launchers, which is the first time I've used crapastators in a serious list. I did this because 1) someone has to man the quad-gun, 2) three missile launchers and a BS5 quad-gun are good against anything, and 3) none of the alternatives (combipred, two mm/hf speeders, pair of attack bikes, multimelta dread, small sternguard unit, another HQ) struck my fancy. My original idea was to have a missile launcher combat squad on the gun, but then I'd be forced to combat squad even in KP missions, or have an entire 10 men squad on the job.

FUN FACT: Blood/Dark Angels pay 130 pts for five devastators with four missile launchers. My five devs with three missile launchers cost 135 pts. To the uninitiated, this might seem like a bad case of codex creep, but they are clearly not acquainted with the Steel Slayer's own sergeant Jurgen and gunner Albrecht, two great men whose skill with a quad-gun is legendary, as you shall see soon enough.

FIRST BATTLE – NENAD'S DAEMONS

Yeah, it's the same guy who tabled me at the previous tournament. Same list, too. Fateweaver, bloodthirster, two units of three flamers, two big units of screamers, nurgle daemon prince, three units of plaguebearers, and a soul grinder. Kill points. 24” short sides deployment. He goes first. I deploy in a defensive formation behind my aegis defense line, with my rhinos up front and my vehicles spaced out in a way that made it hard/impossible for him to deep strike behind my units or cover more than one vehicle under a flamer template.


TURN 1:
Night fighting. Fateweaver, bloodthirster, soul grinder, daemon prince, and two units of screamers (his desired wave) all get HIT on their scatter dice, deploying north of my position. I interceptor-fire at the bloodthirster, achieving nothing. Bloodthirster vector-strikes one of my vindicators, wrecking it. Screamers turbo over the devastators, dispatching three missile launcher guys and gunner Albrecht, leaving sergeant Jurgen all alone.

Now, short of crazy luck, I knew my army had no hope of beating his, so I decided to disembark everything except Manfred the Librarian and make the daemons work for their victory. Null zone is activated. Land Raider scores a penetrating hit on the soul grinder, but only plinks off a hull point. Two tactical squads rapid fire the upper screamer unit, killing a few. Remaining vindicator and the third tac squad fire at the second screamer group, which is then finished off by the hammernators.


TURN 2:
The rest of the daemons arrive. One flamer unit gets a mishap and is placed on the opposite corner of the table, which will prevent it from doing anything for the remainder of the battle. Fateweaver flies in. Screamers fly into the midst of my army, assaulting and destroying a rhino and brother Hanz. Flamers scorch some tacticals. Daemon prince lands and assaults a rhino and a tactical squad. Bloodthirster lands and assaults the hammernators, killing their sergeant in a challenge.


Null zone is activated again, nullifying invulnerable save rerolls from Fateweaver. Tacticals rapid fire the remaining screamers to death. The LR plinks off another hull point from the soul grinder. Two out of three flamers are shot back to the warp. At this point, sergeant Jurgen decides he's had it with these motherfucking daemons on this motherfucking table, grabs his quad-gun, and kills frickin' Fateweaver in a single round of shooting. Like a boss, man. Like a boss.


TURN 3:
Plaguebearers advance towards my lines. Daemon prince finishes off a tactical squad and immobilizes a rhino. Bloodthirster slaughters all hammernators except one. The last one manages to flee combat and ends up running off the table. Bloodthirster still has 3 wounds left.


Null zone goes off for the third time. The combined fire from the LR, the quad-gun, and the tactical squads is too much for the bloodthirster, who succumbs to his wounds. The vindicator demolishes a few plaguebearers.


TURN 4:
The last flamer jumps in and kills some tacticals. The daemon prince and the arriving plaguebearers gang up on sergeant Jurgen and the tacticals at the quad-gun. Soul grinder shoots the vindicator, shaking it and preventing it from using its cannon, leaving it at a single hull point.


Null zone again. The last flamer is destroyed by bolter fire. LR gets yet another penetrating hit on the soul grinder, and again fails to kill it, reducing it to one HP. The wounded vindicator moves back behind the defense line.


TURN 5:
Plaguebearers and the daemon prince assault and lock down the last tactical squad. The daemon prince performs a multiple assault and blows up the LR. Plaguebearers assault the vindicator, but fail to do anything.


The vindicator moves aside and gets off one final shot at the soul grinder, destroying it at long last. Manfred the librarian walks out of the wreckage of his land raider, kills one plaguebearer with the avenger, and then assaults them, killing another one and suffering no wounds in turn. We roll for the 6th turn, but the battle ends. My opponent wins with 13 points to my 8.


AFTERTHOUGHTS:
Quite an entertaining battle. My reckless last stand ended up working much better than my usual careful approach. Sergeant Jurgen inflicting 3 wounds on a flying Fateweaver was epic. Sadly, apart from wasting my hammernators on the bloodthirster, I don't think I've made any mistakes. This is bad, because it really highlights how out of sync with the other dexes daemons are right now. Let's just hope they get a new dex soon, and that someone sensible (*cough*Phil Kelly*cough*) is the author.

SECOND BATTLE - NO1'S IMPERIAL GUARD WITH BA ALLIES

Table quarters deployment. Two objectives, each worth 3 points. He gets first turn. His army consists of a basilisk, lord commissar, two veteran squads in chimeras, leman russ vanquisher (big anti-tank gun), leman russ punisher (big anti-infantry gun), vendetta with another unit of veterans, stormraven, reclusiarch, big unit of death company, and a death company dread. My plan is as crude as it gets: close the distance quickly and kill him in assault/short-range shooting, claim his objective, and stop him from claiming mine.


TURN 1:
Night fighting. I fail to seize the initiative. Most of my stuff is outside 36” range and his shooting does nothing.

I rush forward and pop smoke on most of my vehicles. My shooting is useless.


TURN 2:
Vendetta and stormraven arrive. Interceptor-fire takes off a hull point from the stormraven. The quad-gun is shot and destroyed. He shoots some more at my stuff, but his rolls suck and nothing else is wrecked.

I move forward and fire at his stuff, but my rolls are likewise crappy and I don't inflict any real damage. I make the mistake of not advancing with my land raider and instead trying to take out his storm raven with snap shots, which doesn't work.


TURN 3:
Vendetta flies in and blows up brother Hanz, getting first blood. The rest of his army keeps shooting but doesn't do a thing.

My combat squads and LR move into assault range. I finally manage to take out the basilisk, but the rest of my guns do nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, these are officially some of the most ineffective shooting phases in 40k history.


TURN 4:
Death company, veterans, and the dread all disembark from their fliers. The two vindicators and a rhino are wrecked. Veterans kill three out of five devastators. Death company decimates the combat squad holding my objective while the dread assaults another combat squad, and looses two hull points to krak grenades. The battery on my camera dies, forcing me to resort to my cellphone for photos.


Tacticals, hammernators, and Manfred the librarian all disembark, ready to smash some heads, but shooting fails again and they end up having to assault a chimera and the punisher. Hammernators vs chimera fight is as one-sided as you can imagine. Tacticals, being notoriously bad at assaults, fail to do anything to the punisher. I have no idea why I didn't just multiple-assault both vehicles with my hammernators. One of my tactical squads runs and takes control of the opponent's objective. The remaining combat squad in my deployment zone and the two remaining devastators shoot at the veterans, killing some. The devs then assault them, but their assault doesn't do jack.


TURN 5:
Lots of useless shooting. Death company kills the last tacticals in my deployment zone. Death company dread assists the veterans and kills the remaining two devs.


Manfred, having been wounded in the chimera explosion, runs back into the LR. Veteran squad is wiped out by tacticals with flamers, while the LR blows up the chimera containing the lord commissar. Hammernators assault the commissar's squad and deliver the Emperor's Justice to them, getting Slay the Warlord. Another combat squad reaches the opponent's objective.


At this point, we both have linebreaker, the opponent has first blood, I have slay the warlord, and I'm controlling his objective. I would've won by 3 points, if only the game had ended on 5th or 6th turn. Alas, it goes on for two more turns and the opponent manages to embark the veterans into the vendetta, and then disembark them on my objective. He also spends two turns shooting at my tacticals on his objective, kills some, yet ultimately fails to budge them. I keep trying to wreck his vendetta with my LR (as that would earn me the nemesis point), but my guns fail me once again. The game ends with turn 7. Draw.

AFTERTHOUGHTS:
We both had terrible shooting dice, but it was still a pretty intense match nevertheless. I made a mistake of not advancing my LR on turn 2, as then I'd be assaulting a turn earlier. It was doubly stupid because even if I had moved 12”, it still wouldn't make my LR any less effective vs the stormraven as I'd still be hitting on 6s.

By the way, I really, really, really wish vanilla had access to stormraven gunships. I'd instantly replace my LR with one. Not only would it offer some much-needed skyfire (even with Jurgen & Albrecht to man it, a quad-gun is still just a single gun), it would also inspire me to buy an ironclad dread, too. Let's all pray to the Emperor GW includes it in the next vanilla dex.

THIRD BATTLE – STEVA'S BLOOD ANGELS

12” deployment. Mission: the Relic. I get first turn. His army consists of: mephiston, two squads of five devastators with four missile launchers, full squad of sniper scouts, two full squads of assault marines with double meltaguns and power fist, two baal predators with flamestorm cannons, stormraven, eight death company with a power fist, and a sanguinary priest. My intention is to grab the objective on turn 2, then take it back behind the aegis defense line and camp with it, while maintaining a kill zone in the middle. My opponent tells me he's going to reserve everything except the scouts, the dev squads, and mephiston, and outflank the predators. That's the word he uses: reserve. He never explains that his assault squads are combat squadded, either. Keep this in mind for later. He also has a buddy who's acting as his advisor, so I'm basically playing against two generals, not one. Oh well.


TURN 1:
Night fighting. I move my flamer combat squad up to the central building so they can grab the relic on the next turn, and advance with my land raider and one vindicator so they can shoot at the scouts in the ruin. I manage to gun down a scout and a devastator sergeant.


He pulls the surviving scouts behind the ruin. Mephiston flies forward and assaults the rhino with the combat squad, blowing it up. One marine is killed in the explosion.

TURN 2:
I'm expecting his army to start arriving from his table edge (he said he's coming from reserve, remember?) so I move one of my vindicators out of cover and pop smoke. Hammernators disembark from the LR and move close to Mephiston. Mephiston gets shot at a bit and losses two wounds. Combat squad climbs onto the building and tries to seize the relic, but is short one inch. Hammernators charge. Mephiston throws a challenge, which I accept. He kills a terminator sergeant and we remain locked in combat, which is awesome, because it keeps my hammernators safe from shooting in his following turn.


Surprise, surprise, my opponent tells me his assault marines are actually deep striking, and claims he has told me this during deployment. His stormraven, his assault combat squads, and one predator all arrive. Melta squads arrive in melta range of LR and one of my vindicators. One of the assault squads mishaps and gets placed on the far right corner. Stormraven goes for the LR, too. Quad-gun interceptor-fires at it, scoring four hits, but my opponent doesn't want to do evasive maneuvers. I score a single penetrating hit and stun the stormraven. The predator incinerates 4 out of 5 marines on my left. 


Then the following exchange takes place:

Him: “Two meltaguns fire at the LR.”
*rolls snake eyes*
Me: “Excellent.”
Him: “Crap... Stormraven multimelta shoots at LR.”
*rolls to hit, hits, fails to penetrate*
Me (grinning): “Nice, nice, keep it up.”
Him (biting his lips): “Two meltaguns shoot at vindicator's side armor.”
*rolls a 1 and a 2*
Me (laughing and pumping my fist): “Good job, my man! Good job!”

His turn ends with Mephiston getting his face busted by the remaining hammernators.

TURN 3:
Vindicators reposition themselves to get good shooting lanes at the assault marines. The combat squad finally seizes the relic. The other flamer squad disembarks and rapid fire the scouts, killing one. Vindicator gets a direct hit on the melta squad, vaporizing four dudes. The last marine there is then cut down by autocannon fire. The other melta squad is wiped out by combined fire from the other vindicator and two plasma cannons. Snapshots are taken at the storm raven, to no avail. Meltagun combat squad and the hammernators stomp the sanguinary priest squad, leaving just the priest alive (he flees combat).


Being stunned, the stormraven cannot turn and has to keep moving 36”, and ends up flying off the table. Baal predator turbos into my aegis defense line. The other baal predator doesn't arrive. There's some impotent shooting. The sanguinary priest tries to assault the combat squad with the relic, only to die horribly to dual-flamer overwatch.


TURN 4:
The combat squad with the relic makes their way down the building and embarks the LR. I pull my hammernators back in anticipation of the stormraven's arrival. My entire army shoots at his baal predator, but he passes all his jink cover saves (I discovered later that baal predators don't have jink and therefore don't get 5+ cover saves when they turbo-boost, but my opponent supposedly didn't know that). Brother Hanz assaults it, but fails to inflict a telling blow.


The second baal predator arrives on my left. Stormraven arrives and flies to the same spot as before, intent on blowing up the Land Raider. Sergeant Jurgen & gunner Albrecht interceptor-fire at it, scoring two hits. Opponent doesn't want to do evasive maneuvers. I then roll double fives for penetration, getting two glances and taking off the stormraven's last two hull points. It crashes spectacularly, taking the entire death company unit with it. My opponent makes a sad face and surrenders. It was beautiful.


AFTERTHOUGHTS:
I wouldn't want to play against this guy again. I felt he didn't do a proper job of explaining how his army works and has withheld information (namely the fact he kept referring to deep striking as coming from reserve, which to me is extremely misleading, especially since he has taken care to explain his baal predators were outflanking, not coming from reserve, so he was well-aware of the difference), plus he was an extremely slow player. The God-Emperor must've agreed with me on this one, seeing as he has cursed his dice and blessed mine. While I enjoyed tabling his blood angels, the battle ultimately wasn't decided by tactics, but rather by luck and incomplete information. My game plan has actually worked out pretty well despite all this, what with my units remaining mostly safe on my side of the table and his units dying in kill zones I've prepared for him.

FUN FACT: I used to like Blood Angels and their successors. Then I learned that they're jealously guarding the overcharged engine and baal predator STCs and refusing to share them with the rest of the Imperium because they want to be unique snowflakes. Not only is this a dick move towards humanity itself, it's also a dick move towards me because it means I don't get any tanks in Fast Attack slots. I don't know if you've noticed, but I love tanks. Spamming them is a strategy close to my heart and I think it looks really awesome on the tabletop. So fuck blood angels and their successors. Goddamn Twilight-loving mutants.

OVERALL AFTERTHOUGHTS:

I don't like devastators and I don't think they were of much use in this list. When they weren't dead, their vision was usually blocked by my own vehicles. Aside from sergeant Jurgen & gunner Albrecht, they didn't really do anything during the entire tournament. I'm thinking of replacing them with a mmelta/hflamer dread. No, really. The dread is 20 points cheaper and it could man the quad-gun in kill points missions, seeing as it's a model and any model in base contact with the gun can use it. The rest of the time it could leave the quad-gun duty to a missile launcher combat squad and just act like a normal dread. With two vindicators and a LR on the field, it might actually live long enough to assault something.

I'm not sure Manfred needs terminator armor. He rarely leaves the LR anyway. Perhaps I should exchange the dev squad and Manfred's armor for a minimal tactical squad in a las/plas razorback. Or maybe even get rid of Manfred altogether, shuffle some points, and give Heinrich von Strahm – my captain with storm shield, artificer armor, and relic blade – a chance in 6th edition. He sucks and is overpriced, but at least he'll be useful in most situations and personal warlord traits won't be wasted on him. Thus far, Manfred's powers have been situational at best and only really awesome against daemons, whom I can't beat anyway.

Anyhow, this tournament was doubly awesome because I got to play against two fully painted armies. I don't know about you, but a painted force, even if it's only three basic colors and simple bases, is a lot more enjoyable to play against (and with) than one or two superbly painted squads surrounded by a ton of plastic. Looking forward to the next tourney.

6TH EDITION DARK ANGELS CODEX FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

I'm loving it. Nothing seems over the top, except maybe Azrael. Some stuff is 5-10 pts cheaper, but other stuff is 5-10 pts more expensive, so it evens out. Belial doesn't have the rumored 2++ save and/or heroic intervention, praise the Emperor. Deathwing is awesome, yet also significantly more expensive than vanilla termies. Turbo-boosting knights with speeder shroud getting a 2+ cover save will seem unstoppable until flamers of tzeench kill them all on turn 1 without the DA player being able to do anything about it. Or they don't go first/opponent seizes the initiative and the shroud and half of them get gunned down before they can turbo-boost. Or someone brings a heldrake.

What I dislike about the new book is that generic HQs (except librarians, as these are super-cheap and get access to inexpensive 4++ and not-so-inexpensive-but-still-affordable 3++) are lackluster, especially considering how strong and army-changing SCs are. Whirlwinds and assault marines are still terrible, only cheaper now. Land speeder vengeance is garbage (seriously, aside from deep strike, how is that thing ever going to survive long enough to get in range and kill itself with gets hot?), and the two planes would've been alright if not for the fact vendettas are a bazillion times better. Really, any sensible DA player is going to want 20-30 guardsmen to complement his deathwing/ravenwing, not to mention a blob for Azrael to hide in, so why not take a vendetta too, while they're at it?

Overall, my first impressions are positive. Sadly, the price tag on Belial and the deathwing have pretty much shot down my hopes of using them as an improved version of my usual hammernators. Needless to say, the best thing about the new DA book is that it heralds good stuff for the upcoming vanilla codex. Minimal tac squads having access to a heavy weapon is huge. I can totally see myself fielding a bunch of 5 men squads with plasma cannons and las/plas razorbacks. Command squads for any HQ (not just captains) is another thing I hope to see in the next vanilla dex, and it appears GW has realized fliers need to be pricier, which is neat. Another nice thing is that DA fliers are stormtalon-sized, which is about as large as a flier should be. Vendettas/dragons/stormravens are too damn big. They can't even fit on your average shelf. Who the hell wants to lug models like that around, let alone several of them?

DEEP WISDOM ABOUT CHICKS, KISSING THEM, AND AN OUTLOOK ON LIFE:

An unfortunate event occurred during this year's Serbian New Year party (it happens on 13th January, nobody knows why, but we always celebrate it because it's yet another reason to dance, get wasted, and stuff our faces with highly caloric food) that we can all draw valuable lessons from.

My younger cousin, we'll refer to him as The Captain, has arrived from Italy (where he's studying at an university) for the winter holidays, and of course he was with us for Serbian New Year. Now, there was a rather hot chick at the party, we'll call her Barely Legal, who was plainly overjoyed with the fact she was surrounded by a bunch of older guys. She was on the prowl and not hiding it, openly eye-ing me and my cousins within minutes of us getting there. I considered going for it, then decided to introduce her to The Captain instead. He is, after all, my young cousin and I wanted him to have some fine memories to take back to Italy with him.


The two of them hit it off right away. Barely Legal is giggling, asking him questions, lingering around him, he seems to be handling the situation well, it's all good. And then it drags on. And on. And on. At one point I realize they've been talking and dancing for like two hours, yet they still aren't making out. She's drunk and so is he. It's as perfect a situation as you can get at a party. But no, nothing happens. I use a couple opportunities when she's not within earshot to tell him to go for it. The Captain still does nothing. It's like he has failed his pinning test and then forgotten to get up at the beginning of the turn. At one point they sit down on a leather sofa that's so narrow their hips are touching and his arm is around her shoulder, and still he does nothing.

Then, in an impressive display of determination and patience, Barely Legal actually puts her legs across his lap, letting him rest his hand on her thighs and knees. Now, stop reading for a moment and picture yourself in that situation. A sexy, drunk chick has been talking and dancing with you for three hours. She has probably spent the last two of those hours wondering why you aren't kissing her yet, and has gotten so desperate to get you to make a move that she's basically sitting in your lap. Seriously, short of grabbing your crotch, a good looking woman can't get more overt than that. I couldn't help but feel deep respect for her. She must have had Stubborn, because she sure as hell didn't let The Captain's passivity affect her morale. Anyway, by now you can guess how this ended. The Captain didn't go for it. No touchdown was made. Barely Legal eventually left with nothing to show for it except a serious case of blue ovaries, and I have gained Rage.

Now, one of my life mottos is: Always err on the side of action. What this means is that, if you're unsure whether you should or should not do something, the answer is always: DO IT, FAGGOT! Not certain if you should go clubbing or stay home? Go clubbing. Can't decide whether to try a new list or keep practicing with your old one? Give the new one a shot. Approach that cute girl at the bar or remain in the limbo of your comfort zone? Approach her. This of course doesn't apply when there are serious consequences to consider (in these situations, decisions must be made on a case-to-case basis), but if you think about it you'll notice most dilemmas people obsess over are devoid of meaningful consequences. By always erring on the side of action, you'll have fewer regrets in life, and people will respect you for being decisive and willing to plunge into the unknown.

Never is this motto as useful as when it comes to getting rid of the inborn male dilemma of whether you should lean over and kiss the girl you're talking to, or wait a bit longer for... What? The perfect romance movie kiss moment? A sign from the Emperor? For her to kiss you? Yeah right, the only women who will do that generally have more than a passing resemblance to a Great Unclean One. It's true that you need some timing when it comes to sticking your tongue down a female's throat for the first time, but why worry yourself sick over it? You've got no investment in this chick, so what's the big deal? When you try to kiss her and she turns her head aside, it doesn't matter because there are no consequences. This rejection can only hurt you if you overvalue it.

In reality, she's just some woman, and there are billions of them in the world, and you'll never see her again, and her opinion of you is based on a single conversation or a single date and as such isn't an accurate reflection of your overall quality as a human being. On the other hand, you now absolutely know where you stand with her, so you can stop wasting time and go hang out with your friends or hit on other girls. How do you think The Captain feels about this entire fiasco? He's pissed off at himself because he didn't even try to get Barely Legal's number. That's the worst thing you can do, as then you'll always be wondering “what if”. Therefore, always err on the side of action and you'll live a more fulfilled life with fewer regrets.

McDonald's Western Sauce is the best hot sauce invented by mankind. I will discover its recipe and replicate it in my kitchen if that's the last thing I do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment